If youre a journalist inspired to follow stories about the impact of climate change and what California is doing to try to slow its effects, then you may be the next environment reporter at CalMatters an award-winning and influential nonprofit, multimedia news venture focused on covering the cutting-edge state of California.
The state has been a leader in climate policy for many years. This position is a great opportunity for an experienced and passionate environmental journalist. The beat will be focused on the state’s activities, how they are doing and what difference it is making in California and beyond. It involves monitoring regulations, understanding the political context and analyzing data. Field reporting is required to communicate to a wide audience what’s happening and why. We are looking for someone who is willing to hold state policymakers responsible as they struggle to solve what our former governor called an existential crisis.
CalMatters produces original multimedia journalism and data-driven news analyses. These articles are posted daily on calmatters.org, and distributed free to more than 250 media partners across the state. You will be joining a diverse, supportive staff of 50+ state employees and a small team of environmental journalists that includes a Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter as well as another who won a first place award for beat reporting from The Society of Environmental Journalists. While this position is remote-friendly, it requires you to be present in Sacramento to cover the actions of the governor and other state agencies.
- Reporting and writing climate and other environmental stories in a variety formats, including in-depth, smart enterprise, data rich card deck explanations, occasional breaking news, and occasionally in-depth longform.
- Collaborate to create innovative packages that can include audio, video, and data interactives.
- Regular brainstorming sessions are a great way to get ideas and understanding.
- Follow developments through legislative bills, state policies-making and policy enforcement agencies, academic research, advocacy efforts, and advocacy.
- Participate in public events, appearances on radio and television, as well as social media platforms.
- Contribute to the story production, including creating data graphics, using SEO best practices, and working with our CMS.
- Minimum three years of experience in professional journalism, preferably covering the environment and policy-making processes.
- Sharp writing skills with work samples that show the ability to engage readers, translate complex environmental issues into relatable, personal stories.
These would be a great plus.
- Climate policy experience
- California and its diverse communities are deeply familiar to me
- Science background/training
- Skills in data collection, analysis
- Ability to write and report in Spanish and English
We are a growing newsroom that collaborates with others and has successfully created a new model of sustainable, intelligent, non-profit journalism. We have the financial backing and support of foundations and funders that are politically diverse, smart, and who believe in our work. We offer excellent benefits for health and retirement, as well as annual professional growth stipends. We are committed diversity and encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply.
Send us your resume and cover letter describing your approach to the job. Also, link to at least six samples of your work online.
If you need help filling out this form, or prefer to send your application via email, please send an email to jo[email protected]. Please include the job title as the subject.