Climate change campaigners have handed over a petition signed by over 500 people to Harborough MP Neil O’Brien demanding urgent action now.
Local residents signed the petition by Sustainable Harborough Community to support the Global Day of Action for Climate Justice (SHC) last month.
They are calling. Neil O’BrienAs he was handed the petition, he used his influence and urged the Government to do more for global warming.
The Rev Canon Brian Davis, chairman of the Sustainable Harborough Community, said: “Whilst we were pleased that global leaders were able to make some real commitments towards tackling the Climate Emergency at the recent COP26 talks, overall the outcome was very disappointing.
“Even with all the commitments made, the need to limit temperature increases to 1.5 degrees above the agreed baseline by 2050 will not be achieved.
“Urgent action is needed by the UK government right now,” he said.
“The UK still has several months to run as chair of COP26, but world leaders will not listen to a government that does not practice what it preaches.”
We, the undersigned residents of your constituency, appeal to our Government:
– To end its support for oil and coal in the UK and elsewhere
– To end climate-destroying projects like a new coal mine, a huge oil field in the Cambo Field near Shetland, or new oil drilling in Surrey
– To stop funding fossil fuel projects around the world, including a planned gas megaproject at Mozambique
– to promote justice for those who live in areas of the world that are most affected by climate change, but have done the least to cause it.
– to lead by example – world leaders will not listen to a government that does not practice what it preaches.