On Monday, the Prime Minister was in Queensland. However, when asked about the protest, he said that $1.7 billion had already be committed to flood recovery and response.
The bulk of that money is already “out the door supporting people”.
“These floods [across NSW and south-east Qld] are the worst we’ve ever seen,” Mr Morrison said.
“I can understand the frustration. But I can assure that you will keep your promises. [we’ve made] … means we’ll be there with them to build back.
“I think the politicisation of natural disasters is very unfortunate. Everyone’s just doing the best they can.”
On Monday, it was announced two of the state’s former top public servants, Mick Fuller and Professor Mary O’Kane, would lead an investigation into the causes of the recent deadly floods, the emergency response and the future of building on floodplains.
The inquiry will examine the preparedness of NSW to deal with major flooding events, while considering gaps in the emergency response that left inundated residents in the state’s north to be rescued by private boats.
Acting Premier Paul Toole appointed Mr Fuller, a former police commissioner, and Professor O’Kane, chair of the Independent Planning Commission, to lead the independent inquiry. It is expected to report to Premier Dominic Perrottet about causation and land use planning and management by June 30,
September 30th is the deadline for a further response from the government.
“We have always said we will take whatever action we can to improve our management of natural disasters, and this inquiry is an important step in that process,” Mr Toole said.
The Morning Edition newsletter is our guide to the day’s most important and interesting stories, analysis and insights. Register Here.